Friday 15 August 2014

TASK 2 RESULTS

For your second task, you were all asked to create a graphic featuring this top, let's see how you all did...


TOP PHOTO: Pablo


 Jack: Once again you have knocked it out of the park, combining your striking technique and another elaborate idea. The fact that you drew three models, all decked out in fabulous outfits, is very impressive. The feel of this graphic is just so breath-taking, it's something I would expect to find on a billboard in Soho. The only thing that brings this down a notch is the awkward knee on the very far right, it's anatomically incorrect - unfortunately such minor flaws can decrease the quality of an otherwise near flawless graphic. It's very important that you pay attention to all the tiny details. I would also keep an eye on the nose contour, be sure not to go too dark and defined. Other than that, I'm amazed by your efforts and creativity, you have really set the bar.

Kirsten: Wow! This is pretty impressive to tackle 3 different models - each stands out well on their own but also looks good in a group. The colours are well chosen and really pop from the screen, as well as this, I feel like you're the only contestant who really stepped out from the box and really took the task brief to the next level, e.g. with the clothing, well done! Having said that, I'm not too big a fan on how the skirts and jackets were done, in the full size image they just don't sit rightly with the style of the top and skin. Overall a stellar job!




RUNNER UP: Helen

Jack: I'm just so in love with the cool, fresh vibe that this graphic gives off. You're definitely capable of delivering a certain feel with your work, and you do it very well. Everything ties together so seamlessly too, the garment was represented nicely. I would like to see more definition in your shading technique, all of your layers appear to be almost the same shapes and the same width apart; in order to create a stronger edge you need to make your darker layers harsher and define creases and crevices in the skin.  A little more shading on the face would make this so much more striking also. Overall a really great job this week.

Kirsten: The composition is quite nice and it has a minimalistic feel, but I'm not a fan of glamourising smoking. The piece is shown off quite well, but like Jack has said, could do with more definition, e.g. seams and more delicate creases rather than just a bog-standard shading. It would also be good to see a difference in shading between the skin and garments - if you look inwards from the arm it looks like the same wavy lines on the upper arm, forearm and both top and skirt which pulls my eye in a negative way from the rest of the graphic. Maybe a little more in the face to make it look less 2D, but otherwise, good entry.


3rd: Rozalia

Jack: I am exceptionally pleased with your ability to apply last weeks critique to your graphic - the cheekbones look a lot better. The skin shading on this is very well done and the clothing isn't bad either, I just wish the skirt and top looked more like the same material. The hair is well shaded but looks a little yellow. The shoes look like they were a last minute addition, they're completely unshaded and aren't even casting shadows on the model which really disappoints me considering your obvious talent. Your work has drastically improved from last week though, so keep it up!

Kirsten: Generally I'm a fan of your graphics, I like the way you do things - I think the detail and time spent on the clothing is very good, and despite the pose being somewhat questionable, I do think it works well for how you've chosen to portray the garment. Most definitely a step up from last week in the face, however there are still a few issues in terms of nose shading angles and hair liveliness that I think could be ironed out to make this look great. I agree with Jack that the shoes should have a shadow, or something, on the skin, however disagree that they themselves need any work, I really like them as they are! Good job.


4th: Beth

Jack: Although I do think your shading technique does need a lot of work in terms of defining certain areas, there is something very likeable and refreshing about it. You worked the top almost effortlessly into the graphic, it looks like it was actually a part of the reference which is very impressive. I'd also like to see a little more shading on the face and perhaps some bolder choices with your general styling, I'm still waiting for your graphics to stand out from the pack - although I would like to commend you on matching your background a lot better this time around.

Kirsten: It has a playful feel to it, though the graphic technique could use a bit of polishing up - it is, however, a step from Task 1. To me the face doesn't fit too well with the graphic, so work on your makeup and shading technique there to help it be more seamless. You have included some small details on the top, which is good, although more time spent on it could help getting it a little more spot on. It's not a bad attempt although stepping out of the box and a little more into wow-factor graphics could help you move up in graphics.


5th: Filip

Jack: As much as I love your bold reference choice, I don't think it was necessarily suitable for this task. A lot of things are clashing here, the blues of the background with the colour of the top, the hammock with just about everything etc. It's always best to make your graphic flow and be easy on the eyes, if not it just looks a little messy. The headscarf, sunglasses and top are all very well shaded, but the skin is lacking definition in areas where it needs the most ie: the face, hands and clavicle. I would suggest spending more time planning your next piece just so you have a really grounded concept before you start.

Kirsten: To be honest I'm not really a fan. The shading on the skin, which is the majority of the graphic, is very weak and poorly defined - this also applied to the face where there really is minimal work. I think I said this to someone in Task 1, but if you're choosing a non-Stardoll face there needs to be something to justify it, like it being show-stopping, unfortunately this isn't it. The red blanket(?) in the background confuses me somewhat, it doesn't fit with the beach theme you've chosen and in full size, frankly, makes the graphic look poor.



BOTTOM 3

Giselle

Jack: This just kind of goes off the rails from the bust upwards, the arms and skirt look great but the collarbones look very unrealistic and the shading is a little off on the side of the neck. Something about the models head looks a little odd to me and it's bothering me how she's not wearing any makeup. I am glad to see your work not looking as tacky as last week, but this time it's looking a little, dare I say, dull? Work on finding the right balance between the two and I think you could be finding yourself higher in the rankings.

Kirsten: You've definitely made a few improvements on Task 1, but there is a way to go with your graphics. With the skin, I'd suggest working on a more uniform technique, it changes between the limbs, hands and then the upper breasts and neck. The top looks ok, however I don't feel like you've portrayed it positively, for example your graphic doesn't make me want to buy it whereas Pablo's or Rozalia's does - you have included some smaller details in it though, which is good. I like this more neutral feel compared to the off-putting pink of last week (don't get me wrong, I love pink, but it wasn't in the right place there!) The hair isn't too bad, but consider the hair and face together with shading on each.


Gabriel

Jack: There's a lot of faults with this graphic, it's hard to think where I should begin. When creating a real life face it's vital that you work on making it look tidy and realistic, which I don't think you achieved; the mouth looks rushed and the sunglasses mask the face, which wouldn't be too much of an issue if they were shaded well and fit into the graphic, but they're neither. The clavicle looks very lopsided, I'm finding it really difficult to understand where you were going with that. My advice would be to take your time when working on your next piece and to study the way collarbones look when in different positions, it will benefit you immensely.

Kirsten: Hm, an interesting piece and alike Jack, it's hard to say where to begin particularly as I'm really not much of an Iggy Azalea fan. All I see when I look over the image is the neck and breast shading and I kinda wanna scream - sorry! But the neck anatomy is just all wrong for a plain supine position, let alone something at an angle. The way you've done the clothing almost confuses me, because in some parts you've gone for the details but in others you've really scrimped in that area, maybe take some practice on consistency. I said it last week with a non-Stardoll model and I mentioned it above in Filip's comment - if you're going for one, it has to be worth it and honestly it looks like a rush job done in 5 or 10 minutes maximum. Jack mentioned the sunglasses, but I'd also add that, to me, it seems like they were added as an afterthought so you didn't need to do the eyes, which I can say from experience that they are the hardest part of a real face to really nail - from the pictures I've googled of her, she has a very pretty face and great eyes which make her quite distinct, if the graphic hadn't had her name on it, I would have had no clue who it was.


Virginia

Jack: Your entry this week was very weak on many levels. Your edges are very choppy and everything looks so half assed. The pose could have worked in your favour, but it didn't. The top and pants are barely even shaded, it looks like you took all but 5 minutes to draw them both. I'm disappointed to say the least, I was definitely expecting more from you. Maybe this week was just a bump in the road for you considering your place last week, or was your task one entry just a fluke?

Kirsten: Ok, I'm at a bit of a loss for words as this is quite some difference to your Task 1 entry, in a negative way. To begin with I'm very distracted by the hair, it's far too bright for the graphic and doesn't fit at all, I think it doesn't help that it's also poorly shaded. Shading in general is weak - I can't see any on the bottom garment and on the top you've done the basics of detail but nothing else - this looks pretty bad when you look at the breast shading and would expect something to be relayed with the top but there's nothing. Like I've said to many of the other entries in this Task, work on continuity with your technique and keep working on the development of it. I also can't help but wonder with Jack if your Task 1 entry was a fluke.




So which of you is leaving?


Nobody. Again.

Unfortunately, Natalie failed to submit her entry and was therefore eliminated.

I will say this only once; it is your responsibility to submit your task correctly and on time. You have three ways of submitting your entry, so there is no excuse as to why I didn't receive it. Despite the fact that I should not have to, I am going to start replying to emails confirming that I have received your task entry. Should you not receive a confirmation email from me prior to the deadline, it is entirely up to you to contact me and get your entry to me on time. I will not be chasing up any unreceived entries. This is a competition aiming to find the most talented designers on Stardoll, I should not be having to eliminate people just because they failed to send their task in on time. If you can't abide by the fair and simple rules then you should not have signed up in the first place. Consider this a warning to all of you, I will not be tolerating laziness, ignorance and failure to do the simplest things, and I won't be giving out second chances like candy. If you want to resign from the competition, please notify me instead of wasting everyones time. Some of us are here to crown a winner. I except each of you to bring your A game every week, I do not want to be let down once more.


Your next will be posted soon.


12 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm very thankful and humbled by having won again, and Helen thanks so much for picking me as your model to feature in your entry! I Love it so much! Good job everybody and I'm very excited for task 3 (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this task was so amazing and I'm glad I saw these, man I want to make graphics so bad but I only have gimp and it is soooo confusing! Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried GIMP and agree that it is much more confusing than Photoshop! The photoshop layout is much more logical, however that doesn't necessarily mean that having photoshop automatically means you can make graphics well, there's a lot of hard work to put in as well =)

      Delete
    2. Yeah you're right its probably cause im starting photoshop just now, I agree (: it modtly takes hard work

      Delete
    3. I can't cmment on whether Photoshop is easier to handle since I only have Gimp. But I'm pretty satisfied with GIMP, it does need some time to work through the features and there aren't many useful special effects, but it has a lasso tool, a paintbrush and an eraser (and of course layers) and that's all you need for a graphic. Try using the windows for selection and the one for layers next to the toolbar, I find it pretty useful.

      xoxo Cathy

      Delete
  3. Seeing Pablo's entry felt like having gelato on a hot summer day. Delightful and refreshing. Not only was it well done in terms of technique but the idea behind it was simply genious! I also really loved Rozalia's graphic and Beth's reference was truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe you're the sweetest boo !! Your entry was amazing those hands look fabu omg

      Delete
  4. I swear I was staring and that neck and face constantly while waiting for the results haha! Thank you for both the positive and negative feedback. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Pablo entry is heaven! I love it.
    You are right with the comments about my entry, I will do it better next time.
    Xoxo
    Rei

    ReplyDelete
  6. Filip's entry is gorgeous. If they just turned up a few layers a bit more would have been top 4. The background really confused me.

    Pablo another great entry. I like the hair it's a step up from the last :) The bodies are bit stocky looking because there is too much emphasis on them.

    I feel simplicity is the killer of the tasks. It feels a bit monotone. If you can't pull of an elegant shading it's alright to dress up your graphics with props and ect. gaudy does not kill as long as you're doing it right.

    I'm also happy to see Rozalia's come back everyone is doing pretty well.
    It's sad to see people dropping out of the competition

    ReplyDelete