Monday 2 May 2016

TASK 1 RESULTS

Unfortunately, Frida, Luiza and Lina have withdrawn from the competition. 

For this cycle, one contestant will be eliminated every other task. This means contestants that place low will get a chance to redeem themselves. Each contestant will also be scored on a points system, which is as follows;

TOP PHOTO: 5pts
RUNNER UP: 3pts
SAFE: 2pts
LOW: 1pts
ELIMINATED: 0pts

Between each task will be a "redemption round" where contestants who scored low have a chance to bounce back and earn enough points to stay safe; the contestant with the least amount of points after each redemption round will be eliminated.

It's such a pleasure to be back here, giving another group of amazing designers this opportunity! For this weeks task, we challenged out contestants to create two strikingly unique .png outfits, showing off their creative flair. Without further ado, let us commence with the judges critiques...



TOP PHOTO: Gabriel




Jailer: Amazing effort here from you, Gabriel! Both outfits feel really current and something I'm sure a lot of people would die to wear. I love that you worked with various different patterns/prints, as well as a variety of materials and cuts. The koi fish print on the first dress is really well done, but I would be careful when using prints, as they can often look a little flat if in a larger, empty space. Also, when adding fine details to your outfits, you must ensure that each small detail is refined and finished - often times, a keen eye will pick up on sloppy detailing, and it will lessen the appeal of your finished work. I do think you would benefit from using a stronger highlight, too. A wonderful job, well done!

Nimka: This is so super cool and super street style! Something I would expect to see from the lovely jujubean. It has a tough structure and an attitude to it which I respect. Love that you used Disney too but wish you would have done Disney on the pink dress instead of fishes!






RUNNER UP: Maria



Jailer: I was so disappointed that you only sent in one look, mainly because I am so in love with this! I'm a sucker for florals, when done right, and you got them so right. The detailing is just gorgeous, and I love how the whole outfit flows and has this light, spring feel. One thing I think you struggle with is tidiness; while you have the technique down, you just need to take a little extra time to make sure your layers aren't overlapping and have more of a rounded edge to them. If you had sent in a second look, I have no doubts that you would have gotten top photo this week - don't let yourself down like this again! Overall, I'm extremely happy with your first entry.

Nimka: This is something so simple yes so detailed and beautiful, too. I wish that we had something like this for LE! It’s so springy, and not too outlandish for ready to wear, but not too simple that it’s plain and boring. The technique is really good too, the best so far! I wish there was a second look to this cause I love it so much!



SAFE: Abdelkarim




Jailer: This entry leaves me so confused, because the first look is simply stunning! But, the second look is not great. The fur on the first look is incredibly well done, as is the sheer dress - two very difficult materials to execute, and you executed them both so well. The shoes look slightly overdone, though - just be careful with having too many layers. I'm not entirely sure where to start with the second look; I'm not a fan of the mismatch shoes, and the combination of all the prints, patterns, and colours is just a bit boggling. I want to see more of what you can deliver like the first outfit, because to me, it's a very bankable route for you to take.


Nimka: So I have to applaud you Kem for doing fur in your first ever task, as fur is the hardest to do and people usually shy away from it! I love the first look with the black fur and the sheer glittery dress, it’s perfect and beautiful to me! But the 2nd look, dude, what happened?! It’s like night and day; they don’t look part of the same collection. I like the sweet idea, but it didn’t execute well in my opinion.



LOW: Sasha



Jailer: I have to say, I was not impressed with your entry this week. I think you had a really solid concept in mind, but you rushed the execution. I can kind of see where you were going with both looks, but the abundance of gold glitter drowns out what could have been two really elegant, yet edgy pieces. You have a really good grasp on dimensions and shading, but your layers look a little sloppy in some areas. My advice to you would be to take your time and really think about each part of the graphic as you're doing it - try not to get ahead of yourself.

Nimka: SASHA! You really went out of the box for this and risked a lot, and I can say that it definitely paid off in my opinion. The first is so couture, so outlandish and I can imagine it on a real runway with gold leaf on it! Its very McQueen meets Margiela in my mind. The 2nd one is excellent too I love that you kept the gold but went more minimal on this with a long dress, but then bumped it up with those platforms (which I need in my life). It’s impractical desert couture - and I love!



LOW: Allison



Jailer: I really like the direction you were going in with the first outfit, I love the mix of cuts and materials! But, the execution on both looks lets you down a little bit. It was a huge risk to do white fabric, as it's the hardest to shade by for, and unfortunately I don't think it paid off for you. The creativity is there, but you just need to work a little on refining your details and getting that shading method down. The best advice I could give to you, is to take your time and just make sure all of your shapes and layers are smooth and fluid, as I'm getting an almost 2D feel from your work.

Nimka: I’m so in love with these 2 pieces! The first one is like a Givenchy warrior and it’s something that my doll would wear too. It has a strong girlish attitude and I love the mix of sheer and opaque. I also love the pink piece but would prefer it without the pink piece on the shoulder. Strong start, go you, Allison!


The scoreboard currently stands as such;

Gabriel: 5pts
Maria: 3pts
Abdelkarim: 2pts
Sasha: 1pts
Allison: 1pts
Lina: 0pts
Luiza: 0pts
Frida: 0pts

As we say goodbye to Lina, Luiza, and Frida, no other contestants will be eliminated in this round. Those of you who placed low will have your chance to earn further points and be declared safe on the next task. If there is still a tie in the scores, the decision of who leaves will fall into the hands of the judges.

Congratulations contestants! Task 2 will be posted soon.




_____

1 comment:

  1. I'm really sorry I didn't manage to subimt the entry, but oh well. It is my fault. I hope that there'll be more chances and that I'll be able to apply once my computer stops bugging and I'm not so busy with school.
    Good luck to everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete